Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Spring Fever

Yup, it's that time again where it doesn't matter what kind of work I have to do, all I want to do is be outside, enjoying the spring weather. Spring is finally peaking its face out and Korea is getting prettier by the day. The cherry blossoms are in full bloom, the plum blossoms too, and the magnolias have gone through one set of blooms and look ready to do it again. The trees are all sporting new green leaves and shrubs are blooming too. This is my favorite time in Korea, and my favorite time in the classroom.
Finally, all my students (well, ALMOST all) are independent and can be trusted to follow instructions and complete tasks on their own. It is so gratifying to see that 8 months of hard work, planning, blood, sweat and tears has paid off.
Recently I have been compiling their scores etc for my action study project so that I can track the success of my students and their achievements under the program I have begun to use and I was blown away. We are ahead of the other classes in the materials and outcomes covered and the kids can actually discuss themselves as students. They know their strengths and weaknesses and are learning ways to cope. It is amazing to see. Their parents were equally amazed when they saw them during student-led conferences. Which, by the way, you need to try if you are a teacher of young children. It is priceless!!!

No comments: